[CentOS] stange lockd issue on CentOS 4.4

Wed Nov 15 14:21:01 UTC 2006
Alexey Loukianov <aloukianov at lavtech.ru>

Greetings, CentOS.

After up2dating one of the corporate mail servers to CentOS 4.4 (was
CentOS 4.2) and upgrading kernel to kernel-smp-2.6.9-42.0.3.EL, the
following kernel messages started to appear in syslog:

[root at gamma ~]# dmesg
...CUT.....
lockd: unexpected unlock status: 1
lockd: unexpected unlock status: 1
lockd: unexpected unlock status: 1
lockd: unexpected unlock status: 1
lockd: unexpected unlock status: 1
lockd: unexpected unlock status: 1
lockd: unexpected unlock status: 1
lockd: unexpected unlock status: 1
lockd: unexpected unlock status: 1
lockd: unexpected unlock status: 1
lockd: unexpected unlock status: 1
lockd: unexpected unlock status: 1
lockd: unexpected unlock status: 1
lockd: unexpected unlock status: 1
lockd: unexpected unlock status: 1
lockd: unexpected unlock status: 1
lockd: unexpected unlock status: 1
lockd: unexpected unlock status: 1

Rebooted with an older kernel (2.6.9-34.0.2.ELsmp), but the problem
persists.

This server utilizes NFS share as a storage volume for user mail
boxes, the NFS server is also a CentOS 4.4 server, also with the
kernel, up2dated to kernel-smp-2.6.9-42.0.3.EL few weeks ago.

As this is a production environment, I can't simply go and reboot NFS
server to an older kernel - this would lead to a small amount of downtime,
which is undesirable for me. Could someone help me to understand what
does that messages mean, why did they appear, and what caveats they
may cause to me except for spammed syslog?

Thanks in advance.

--
Best regards,
 Alexey Loukianov                          mailto:aloukianov at lavtech.ru