[CentOS] sendmail/RPM question

Thu Nov 16 16:26:27 UTC 2006
Dan Pritts <danno at internet2.edu>

Hi all -

I've got a regular problem that i've been fixing by hand for a long time
but i'm hoping i can get some advice about the right way to solve it.

I replace the default redhat/centos sendmail configuration files with
my own set.  I have always just done this by hand.

One thing I do is completely whack submit.cf.

when i update the system, RPM recreates this file.

I've manually fixed things in the meantime, so I'm not sure of this,
but I kinda think that it updates sendmail.cf too (specifically, I make
a symlink sendmail.cf to my own cf file; i haven't experimented to see
what happens when i install directly.

I know at a very basic level how to create an RPM.  But I expect that
if I create an RPM containing sendmail.cf, I will get a conflict with
the existing sendmail.cf from the sendmail rpm; and I don't know how to
override it.  I also don't know how to make it so that the submit.cf
file just doesn't exist; I am pretty sure that if that file exists, it
will get called by default when people call sendmail from the command line.

Suggestions?  (not to include, "give in to running sendmail as a daemon
in submission mode, etc")

thanks

danno
--