[CentOS] "undefined symbol: _pam_make_env"

Sat Nov 25 02:08:36 UTC 2006
ness <nessup at gmail.com>

Hello,

A while ago I downloaded and compiled PAM 0.99.x and installed it over
the default CentOS PAM installation. Of course, this premature decision
led to root and FTP access being fully locked down and inaccessible.

When I  `su -`, it prints "su: incorrect password" before it gives me
the chance to type a password. When I `sudo su -`, it prints "sudo:
pam_authenticate: Module is unknown". The most elaborate error from
that point on is in /var/log/secure, which prints the following when I
supply valid FTP log in credentials:

Nov 24 19:57:07 ded sudo: PAM unable to
dlopen(/lib/security/pam_stack.so)
Nov 24 19:57:07 ded sudo: PAM [error: /lib/security/pam_stack.so:
undefined symbol: _pam_make_env]
Nov 24 19:57:07 ded sudo: PAM adding faulty module:
/lib/security/pam_stack.so

  I've tried reinstalling PAM via yum, it's dependencies, and it's
furthest dependencies with no apparent success. Does anyone know how
this can be fixed without formatting the entire system?

Thanks,
--ness