[CentOS] CentOS on Dell Inspiron 640m laptop

Wed Nov 1 12:31:48 UTC 2006
Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 at duke.edu>

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 at 10:29pm, techlists at comcast.net wrote

> I ordered and just received today a new Dell Inspiron 640m laptop (it
> also goes by the name E1405).
>
> Anyone tried installing CentOS on this laptop? It's the wireless drivers
> I'm most concerned about; it's got the Dell 1390 internal wireless card
> (not the Intel wireless).
>
> Anyone have some feedback, on the wireless or any other issues, on
> running CentOS on this laptop?

I've got a Thinkpad Z61t, which is somewhat similar to yours (although I
do have the Intel wireless).  To be honest, I didn't even try CentOS on
it, figuring the hardware was too new.  I initially installed FC5, which
mostly worked, except for standby mode (it'd go to sleep, but not wake up)
and some video issues (vesa worked, i810 required an out-of-band upgrade
but even then GL still crashed).  Over the weekend I upgraded to FC6,
which is actually quite nice.  The video works very well now, and standby
and resume works (except that I can't quite get wireless working after a
resume, but I'm not sure if that's due to lack of trying and/or the
complication that I'm also using WPA2).

I'm fairly certain that you'll need xorg-7.1 to get video working natively
(rather than via vesa), which means FC6 or wait for CentOS5.  And to have
a hope of standby working I'm pretty sure (bot not positive -- did the
AHCI suspend patches go into 2.6.18?) you need the hard drive in
"compatibility" mode rather than AHCI.

As for your wireless, a little bit of googling seems to indicate that
bcm43xx has issues with it, and ndiswrapper is the way to go.

Good luck.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering