[CentOS] mppe support in kernel-2.6.9-42.0.3.EL

Thu Nov 2 22:34:10 UTC 2006
Ian Anderson <Ian.Anderson at clearwire.com>

I would second this suggestion. We use OpenVPN to control access to our
management network and it works really well.  We currently manage over
50 people with VPN keys and the list is growing.  The only drawback is
that there isn't a very good web based GUI to administer your keys.
When you have a security team consisting of 10 people, it can be a bit
of a pain relying on bash scripts for key generation/revocation.

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On
Behalf Of Alex Palenschat
Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2006 1:39 PM
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: RE: [CentOS] mppe support in kernel-2.6.9-42.0.3.EL

> > MPPE required, but kernel has no support.
> >
> > Can anyone help me with getting this module for the 2.6.9-42.0.3.EL
> > kernel???
> >
> MPPE can cause you much heartache (as I learned the hard way
> at my last
> job...). I'd recommend using the dkms packages that PoPTop provide
> (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=44827).
>
> The first section of this FC faq at pptpclient outlines the
> steps to get
> it installed
> (http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/howto-fedora-core-4.phtml)
>
> -Shawn

Or you could just use the very fast/modern/more secure openvpn package
from DAG's repository. Loads up very easily with no patching or
compatibility issues and can be configured using certificates (no poor
user password). The only real added work is loading the client software.

Just my 2 cents,

Alex