[CentOS] Problems with yum/rpm and %pre scriptlet error 255

Wed Nov 8 20:47:33 UTC 2006
Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com>

> When trying to install (as root) acrobat reader 7 for Linux from the adobe
> rpm (AdobeReader_enu.i386 7.0.8-1) I get the following errors:
>
> error: %pre(AdobeReader_enu-7.0.8-1.i386) scriptlet failed, exit status 255
> error:   install: %pre scriptlet failed (2), skipping AdobeReader_enu-7.0.8-1

I really don't trust most rpms from vendors of this sort.

> I have looked for similar errors on google but none of the remedies that I
> have found there seem to work (turning selinux off, using rpm
> --replacepackages --replacefiles options).
>
> Does anyone here have any ideas that they care to share regarding what is
> likely the problem or how to fix it?

rpm -qp --scripts Adobe_rpm_name_here.rpm

This will query the package and should produce output telling you what
pre and post scripts it's trying to run. From there we can debug
further.

George Orwell