[CentOS] Re: Running a 32-bit application on CentOS3-x64

Thu Nov 9 17:28:44 UTC 2006
Dave K <davek08054 at gmail.com>

On 11/9/06, Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > but how is arch defined?  x86, i386, i686, how does one know?
> http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/YumAndRPM

I've been following this thread, and I am seeing that what hasn't been
pointed out yet is a reference explaining the use of 32-bit and 64-bit
packages on a 64-bit system.

And since there have been several threads over the last little while
wherein people have been confused about having apparent duplicate
packages (one each of the 32 and 64 bit variety),  I think lots of
people are not realizing/understanding this issue.

The CentOS Wiki doesn't even have (at least not apparent and
search-able) entries for 64 bit related questions that I could find,
and while there may be useful information in the forum, it is again
not readily apparent.

So, have I missed this resource, or do we need to get one created?

--
Dave K
Unix Systems & Network Administrator