[CentOS] CentOS 4.4 - Email Out

Mon Nov 13 15:49:32 UTC 2006
Daniel Senie <dts at senie.com>

At 10:46 AM 11/13/2006, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
>Quoting Tom Brown <tom at ng23.net>:
>
>>I need to set some of our boxes to send mail through our smarthost. In
>>the sendmail.mc file i have set the smarthost and rebuilt the
>>sendmail.cf file. When i send a mail locally on the box though i get
>>this error
>>
>>Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 553 5.1.8 <root at localhost.localdomain>... Domain
>>of sender address root at localhost.localdomain does not exist
>>
>>What else do i need to edit as there is something that talks about
>>sending from unresolvable domains but this is already allowed i think
>>
>>FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')dnl
>>
>>any ideas ?
>
>The above 553 error was probably generated on your smarthost.
>
>Make sure your host is not called "localhost.localdomain" (in
>/etc/sysconfig/network).  Edit /etc/hosts and make sure your host name
>is not in the 127.0.0.1 line (put it into separate line with your
>host's IP address).

Or even just remove your hostname from the 127.0.0.1 line and DON'T
put it in anywhere else.

This business of the installer tossing the host name on the 127.0.0.1
line of /etc/hosts is silly, and results in a known step in every
installation of a server that says "go edit /etc/hosts, remove host
name". I'm sure it helps something, somewhere, but it makes a mess in
server environments.