[CentOS] Using Synaptic with Cent OS 4.4

Mon Nov 13 19:46:28 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 13:07 -0500, Edward Diener wrote:
> Can Synaptic be used successfully on CentOS 4.4 instead of YumEx ? Are
> there any issues using Synaptic with the CentOS 4.4 repositories ?

There is a version of apt and synaptic for i386 in the extras
repository... however I would not recommend it.  There are many plugins
for yum that work with yem/yumex that do not work for apt (fastest
mirror, protectbase, etc.,)

So, things like 3rd Party repos and the like become more dangerous in
apt that with yum on CentOS.

Also, apt is ONLY for 1386 distro as the version we have does not do
multilib arches.