[CentOS] pppd and radius

Fri Nov 17 16:07:18 UTC 2006
R P Herrold <herrold at owlriver.com>

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006, Alex Palenschat wrote:

> I've been googling, but after getting nowhere for a while I thought I'd
> ask for a direction to head in. I am replacing a RH7.1 box that was
> performing dial-in service using a pppd patched for radius support. I'd
> prefer not to do things this way and would like to use a more easily
> updated configuration.
>
> What I need it to do is do auth against a radius server and support
> windows clients. What is the RHEL/Centos way of doing this?

As I recall the Cistron sources still build on centos-4, but
freeRadius is the future, and also builds on centos.  I do not
know the patches you are thinking of to the pppd; I assume we
are talking about a multiport serial card to be worth the
effort?  More details are needed, but it should all still work
just as it did on RHL7.

I am probably the last subscriber still on the RH PPP list,
and at one time published a patch for an option back in the
RHL days which fixed a broken RH option in the PPPD package
for Windows unit support.  Ask with specific questions if you
hit a hard spot -- I still have two dialup ISP clients running
local modem pools.

- Russ Herrold