[CentOS] XFS in Druid

Fri Nov 24 11:52:51 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-24 at 19:40 +0800, Feizhou wrote:
> Peter Kjellstrom wrote:
> > On Friday 24 November 2006 08:56, Feizhou wrote:
> >> If you are going to create an installer that supports XFS, please make
> >> sure that the kernels involved all use 8k stacks. How you are going to
> >> do that after installation, I do not know. I wonder whether the centos
> >> plus kernels for Centos 4 use 8k stacks...
> >
> > plus or not, i386 is 4k and x86_64 is 8k.
> >

> Yeh! So there should only be XFS rpms allowed for x86_64. Unless of
> course the plus kernels for i386/i686 is configured to use 8k stacks.

There is a warning about 4k stacks when installing the XFS modules.

I can not get the i686 kernels to compile when moving to 8k stacks (with
the other normal items turned on).  I did not spend a huge amount of
time on it, but if someone can turn on 8k stacks on i686 and get a
stable, usable kernel for xfs, maybe we can publish it somewhere and
build an installer for it.

I do not necessarily recommend XFS ... but we do make it available.

I would say that if you really want to use XFS, do so on an x86_64
installed distro only.

Also, it is not too hard to create an ext3 boot/root partition and
create XFS partitions later to mount as /var, /home, data partitions,
etc.

I don't think I would ever recommend that you put /boot or / on an XFS
partition ... but that's just me.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes