[CentOS] RAID 1 not boot when disconnect a disk

Sat Nov 25 04:06:56 UTC 2006
Aleksandar Milivojevic <alex at milivojevic.org>

Kevan Benson wrote:
> Unless it's new in 4.4, that's not the case.  Grub can't undertand the md
> devices, and has to be installed on the disk geometry individually, as your
> link suggests, which anaconda doesn't do.  I hear RHEL 5 fixes this though.

Installing Grub into first partition is definitely the way its done in
CentOS 4.4, if /boot is on RAID-1 md device.  Not sure if it is
something new (I haven't noticed it before either).  Actually, even if
you attempt to force installation of Grub into MBR (for example in
ks.cfg), Anaconda is going to ignore it and install into partition (of
course, only if /boot is on RAID-1 md device).  I've noticed this when
installing on some used drives that had LILO in MBR.  After
installation, the machine wouldn't boot.  BIOS was loading LILO from
installation (which was in bootable partition).

BTW, while I'm mentioning it, does anybody know a good way (or tool) to
evict (clear, zero-out) boot loader from MBR?  Preserving partition
table of course.