[CentOS] using remote vnc on centos 4.4

Mon Nov 27 21:43:06 UTC 2006
Dave K <davek08054 at gmail.com>

On 11/16/06, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> ... Another is to run individually started
> 'vncserver' sessions which have no connection to a real display,
> permit reconnection from vncviewers and run until you stop them.

We use this at $WORK to provide a stable X desktop for developers with
Windows laptops.  No matter how much their laptop comes and goes their
desktop stays put.  Works well for shifting back and forth from work
to home too, either coming through the corporate VPN or using SSH
tunnelling via PuTTY and an ssh server.  This is also nice when you
can afford UPS protection for the VNC Server machine, but not for
client desktops.

In our case the actual compilations and such are done on still
different systems (various OS's and Platforms), so not much "real"
work happens on the Linux box doing the VNC servers. This lets us have
many more people sharing a system than you would first think possible
(as many as 8 on a 1.something Ghz P4 with 1.5G RAM, SCSI disk).  As
with many things these days, RAM is more important than CPU, faster
disk (e.g. SCSI) would be next most important.

One tip: ensure no one runs xscreensaver in their virtual sessions!  I
copied the binary to xscreensaver.real and copied /bin/true to
screensaver to keep all the configuration scripts happy.

--
Dave K
Unix Systems & Network Administrator