[CentOS] Iptables front-end

Wed Nov 29 17:09:25 UTC 2006
Aleksandar Milivojevic <alex at milivojevic.org>

Quoting Jordi Espasa Clofent <jordi.listas at multivia.com>:

> Hi all,
>
> ¿What iptables do you use to manage iptables? ¿Or maybe not?
>
> Simply curiosity, so I'm coming from openSUSE and in that distro there
> is a YaST module front-end (YaST firewall).

There's this system-config-security-level GUI application that is part
of distribution.  However it provides only very very very basic
functionality.  You can only specify ports to open (and than all
traffic on those ports is allowed, both incomming and forwarded), and
select trusted interfaces (all traffic comming from them is allowed).
It doesn't even support NAT (AFAIK).  For very simple firewall it may
suffice.

There are much better 3rd party GUI interfaces, ranging from simple
(for managing single firewall), to medium (managing multiple
firewalls, but each separately) to complex (for managing multiple
firewalls (and everything else security related) by using high level
abstractions).  Some I can think of, in no particular order would be:

  - fwbuilder: http://www.fwbuilder.org/
  - firestarter: http://www.fs-security.com/
  - integrated secure communications system: http://iscs.sourceforge.net/

And of course, if you are not affraid of command line, you can always
use firewall editors such as ed, vi, emacs or any other fine tool
available out there (there's too many to choose from).

I'm sure folks on the list will have many many more suggestions.