[CentOS] Re: Copying user accounts (passwords) to another server

Wed Nov 29 22:42:54 UTC 2006
Kevan Benson <kbenson at a-1networks.com>

On Wednesday 29 November 2006 14:27, Walt Reed wrote:
> When a server installs itself, we find it's IP by looking in the dhcp
> leases file on the dhcp server, then ssh into the machine and run
> another script that changes the hostname, sets the IP to a
> static address, and uses the HP client tools to reset the ILO Admin
> password. (ILO is HP's remote console system - we run all our servers
> headless.) To remove the need for the graphical ILO license, we nuke the
> GRUB splash image, and add the option to the install / boot to force
> text mode.

I believe that if you kickstart with console options specified with the kernel
in the pxelinux.cfg file, anaconda realizes this and sets grub and inittab to
use the serial console for output.  At least that's what I noticed when
kickstarting through PXE a few soekris boxes while back.

--
- Kevan Benson
- A-1 Networks