[CentOS] startx reboots my computer

Mon Nov 27 16:58:43 UTC 2006
Bart Schaefer <barton.schaefer at gmail.com>

On 11/26/06, Ted Miller <ted-miller at att.net> wrote:
> What DOES happen:
> on a good run, I get the error message:
>   /usr.../startx: fork: resource temporarily unavailable

My guess would be that, somewhere in /etc/profile or /etc/profile.d/*,
or some similar startup file associated with your shell, is a command
that starts either another shell, or another X session, or some
similar thing.  When you run "startx" it runs a shell, which runs that
command, which runs another shell, and so on until you have no more
available processes and/or RAM.

I suspect it's in /etc/profile et al. rather than a file in your home
directory because you say it happens no matter which user starts X.