[CentOS] Yet another yum/rpm update problem

Anne Possoz anne.possoz at epfl.ch
Mon Oct 2 22:19:56 UTC 2006

While updating my centOS workstation the other day, I find the
update hanging at the line:
Updating  : udev                         ##################### [153/398]

I followed the advice of waiting a long time. So I waited at least 2 hours
(lunch helped). I know there are always problems interrupting
updates.

Finaly, I killed active processes like 10-hal.dev with all kind
of parameters (sound, tty, block...) which I could summarize as
a huge part of the /dev. There were 2 actives at a time and killing one
allowed the next one.

Then, yum update finaly continued updating and finished his job.
The reboot went smoothly.

Questions:

1. Am I the only one with this problem?

2. Could I get problems following my killings? I suspect that there
were onyl timeouts, but I know nothing about udev.

3. Any idea of what could have been wrong?

4. Are there advices of a better update strategy?

Since centos 4.0, this is my first update problem (4.3 to 4.4).

					Anne
--
Anne Possoz, Domaine IT-GE            Espace logiciel libre à l'Ecole
Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, 1015 Lausanne (Switzerland)