[CentOS] Calling All FS Fanatics

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Tue Oct 3 02:58:59 UTC 2006

> Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> I seem to have maxed out at approximately 275mb/sec on writes and about
> 200mb/sec on reads with the following configuration:
>
> Dual opteron 275's
> 2gb RAM (4 x 512mb)
> 3Ware 9550SX w/8 ports
> 8 x 750gig barracudas (RAID 0)
> 2 x 80gig seagates for the OS
> ncq off
> 9550 set to "performance" rather than "balanced" on the storsave or
> whatever that parameter was called
> ext3 file system with "blockdev --setra 16384"  <-- great find!
> CentOS 4.4 64-bit
>
> I'm too chicken/paranoid/etc to fiddle with XFS since I'm cpu bound most
> of the time (encoding/fondling uncompressed video).  At some point, I'll
> switch the array over to RAID5 so there is some sort of safety net, but
> right now I'm working with play data so it doesn't really matter.

3Ware's site seems to point to 300+MB/Sec with 8 disks so it sounds like
you're close. Read speed seems low. As I said, enabling memory
interleaving on my motherboard and setting the drives to 3GB/Sec made a
big difference.

8x750 Gig! I still remember when a friend bought his first 512MB drive and
I asked him what he was going to do with all that space! Of course that
was long before any thought of video on a PC...

Kirk BOcek