[CentOS] Calling All FS Fanatics

Feizhou feizhou at graffiti.net
Tue Oct 3 09:02:13 UTC 2006

Morten Torstensen wrote:
> Feizhou wrote:
>> XFS is good until you lose power while the disk subsystem is under
>> load. This was when XFS was in its best form too (around 2.4.18 -
>> 2.4.22). Not many people use JFS but it does actually seem to have the
>> best environment.
>
> JFS shares codebase with JFS2 in AIX and sees a lot of development and
> maintenance there. Filesystems can be tricky from a support POV,
> especially on large production systems. The upstream provider is pretty
> picky about filesystems, even if you go for one of the 3rd party
> supported ones like JFS and OCFS and you have reasons for choosing them.

The thing is, I do not see a lot of stuff going on with JFS on LKML.
reiser v3 bugs pop up now and then, XFS had spats going on and ext3 is
rather lack luster and still gets reports now and then. Upstream going
with ext3 is rather expected since Redhat is the backer of ext3 just as
Suse is behind reiser v3.

> There are more to filesystems than speed.

Most certainly. Where are the Linux JFS related complaints?