[CentOS] Calling All FS Fanatics

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Tue Oct 3 21:05:12 UTC 2006

Steve Bergman wrote:
> Plus, I have a notion that the "interaction between ext3 and 3ware
> raid5" referenced in the previous episode, might just have something to
> do with ext3's ordered data writes, which can be turned off.

I just remounted an ext3 filesystem with '-o data=writeback' and
attempted to run bonnie++ as I've been doing all along here. The system
basically came to a halt. The first step in the benchmark creates a
series of 1GB files. This hasn't take more than a couple of minutes on
any other test. After 10 or 15 minutes with it only half way through the
creation process I decided to abort the benchmark. And that's difficult
because the system is now only semi-responsive.

'data=writeback' isn't the answer. Sorry.

Kirk Bocek