[CentOS] Calling All FS Fanatics

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 00:41:50 UTC 2006

> These days, Namesys's hype is all about Resiser4.

Or keeping Hans away from a murder rap....

> Resier3 is yesterday!  Reiser4 is tomorrow!!!

I get the feeling Reiser4 will be a few days after tomorrow since the
devel has some more pressing life issues.

Back on a serious note, while it doesn't really compare much to some
of the other options going on in here. You can get some decent ext3
performance boost simply by increasing the commit time, and mounting
with noatime (assuming you don't need atime records). I stick with the
default ext3 on most systems (otherwise I'm an xfs fan) but these two
mount option adjustments let you crank some more speed out of ext3. By
default ext3 commits every 5 seconds, try setting commit to 10, 15, or
even 20 seconds and see what you get.

George Orwell