[CentOS] Calling All FS Fanatics

Steve Bergman sbergman at rueb.com
Wed Oct 4 04:06:37 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 22:44 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:

> > I just ran 'fsck -fvy' with no complaints.
>
> That works if there is not much damage.

"Damage" is too strong a word.  It bails if there is anything that it is
not absolutely sure it knows how to fix.  It doesn't care if it is
running on your grandma's home system, a point of sale server at an
establishment without a full-time sysadmin, or in a datacenter with
experienced admins jumping all over each other to run their favorite
filesystem debugger to dissect what might have happened.

The problem is that, so far as I know, there is *no freaking way* to
tell it that your grandma, client, or other helpless party is at the
controls.

-a, -y -p... all insist upon protecting the user from having his problem
fixed until he demonstrates his own competence.