[CentOS] 2TB limit, weird mounting issues on reboot

chrism at imntv.com chrism at imntv.com
Thu Oct 5 10:58:17 UTC 2006

John Newbigin wrote:
> You can not have a DOS partition larger than 2Tb.  parted will create
> one and tell the kernel about the size which works.... until you
> reboot and then the partition is 2Tb smaller than it should be because
> the partition table can not store the MSB of your partition size.
>
> The solution is to use LVM or GPT partitions.

Right.

The procedure should look something like this:

/sbin/parted /dev/yourdevice
(parted) mklabel gpt
(parted) print
Disk geometry for /dev/etherd/yourdevice: 0kB - 3001GB
Disk label type: gpt
(parted) mkpart primary 0 3001G
(parted) quit

Now build the filesystem.  I normally use:

mke2fs -j -b 4096 /dev/yourdevice

(tap foot for a few minutes)

Now it should mount normally and you can uncomment out the entry for
that device in /etc/fstab.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,