[CentOS] virtual host on latest centos 4.4

Lance Davis lance at uklinux.net
Fri Oct 6 09:17:57 UTC 2006

On Fri, 6 Oct 2006, Mark Fitzsimmons wrote:

> Good morning All,
>
> I have a slight issue with apache virtual hosts not working on my newly
> installed CentOS (4.4).
>
> I am very new to Linux, however I have experience with apache etc on
> 'w1nd0ws'. I've been round and round in the apache conf file and to no
> avail.
>
> Basically if I setup a virtual host the default then looks at it. Also,
> if I setup multiple virtual hosts they all look at the first virtual
> host.

The default is expected to be the first virtual host, but it seems like
you dont have the correct config for the virtual hosts.

You can check the config using /usr/sbin/httpd -S
that will tell you what the virtual hosts are set up as.

I assume from what you say that you are restarting apache after changing
the config.

> I'm running the machine inside my local network as a staging server for
> web design. I then set my HOSTS file on my PC to the ip of the server
> and then the www.domain.co.uk:
>
> Eg:
> 192.168.1.250	www.testsiteonvirtualhost.co.uk
>
> This is what I do on my other apache test server (not CentOS). I assume
> this should work??

Seems like it ought to - do you get the correct ip address with dig ??
or can you ping www.testsiteonvirtualhost.co.uk and do web accesses show
in logs on the server.

> Is there anything other than virtual hosts that would need setting up??

Not usually - you want want to paste your virtualhost config here ...

Regards
Lance

--
uklinux.net -
The ISP of choice for the discerning Linux user.