[CentOS] Calling All FS Fanatics

Michael Kress kress at hal.saar.de
Mon Oct 9 05:57:27 UTC 2006

Kirk Bocek wrote:
> I'm going to leave the OS volumes (/, /boot, /var, etc) as ext3. This
> should reduce the chances of creating a non-bootable system. I'm going
> to take a leap of faith and use XFS on my 'data' volumes. I'm sure I
> can make use of the 200MB/Sec writes I've benchmarked with bonnie++.

I just converted one of my xen domains running on an x86_64 from ext3 to
xen. That's one partition containing everything, system and data. I must
say, I am content with performance compared to ext3. What I've seen is
that an umount takes quite a while after having written tons of data
(like with bonnie++). With umount I mean: shutdown xen domain, mount
this partition, write data on it, and then umount it and wait up to 1
min for it to complete(!).
The only thing I had to care of around xenU was the xfs module, which
had to be pre-known via ramdisk, so I had no worries being able to boot
the xenU...

mkinitrd /boot/initrd-`uname -r`-xenU.img `uname -r` -v --fstab=/mnt/lvx04/etc/fstab

Greetings - Michael

Michael Kress, kress at hal.saar.de
http://www.michael-kress.de / http://kress.net
P E N G U I N S   A R E   C O O L