[CentOS] antivirus sniffer/scanner for networks

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Tue Oct 10 16:34:49 UTC 2006

	You need to Span/Mirror the traffic from your distribution
switch(es) to an ethernet card appropriate for the size of traffic you
see, 0-100mbps 100mbps ethernet, 100-1000 gigabit. And then run Snort
with all of the plugins to look for malicious traffic. There aren't
really network "virus" scanners so much as there are IDS detection
programs which will detect the traffic signatures of the 'worm/malware'
spreading software and alert you. As viruses are generally local host
problems but the 'spreading' of them you CAN detect.

HTH.

-Drew