[CentOS] Re: transfer data from one hard drive to another

Lorenzo Martínez Rodríguez Lawwait at yahoo.es
Wed Oct 11 16:07:14 UTC 2006

To migrate complete filesystems (even the softlinks and conserving the
permissions asigned to users) I use this procedure:

1.- Connect the new disk to the machine I have the filesystem to clone
2.- Run with a LiveCD to avoid open files and to preserve the integrity
of everything OK.
3.- Create /tmp/original and /tmp/destination directories as mountpoints
4.- Mount both filesystems in the created mountpoints (before that the
new filesystem must be created in new disk, you know, format disk
partition, create filesystem and mount)
5.- Change directory to /tmp/original
6.- tar cf - . | (cd /tmp/destination && tar xvfp -)

I have always used this procedure to clone it. The only problem making
this process is that if the original filesystem was bootable filesystem
you have to recreate the 0 sector with grub (The problem when you boot
with a Live CD is that if you make "grub-install /dev/hda", /dev is
mounted outside the filesystem, it does not correspond with your hda, so
you have to make a trick I will describe below these lines).
To do this, I boot the machine with an Ubuntu LiveCD (I have only got it
working with this Live distro) to make the partition bootable. The steps
I follow to do this are next:

1.-) Boot Ubuntu LiveCD
2.-) mount the filesystem to be bootable in /tmp/pp (previously created)
3.-) mount --bind /dev /tmp/pp/dev (this will remount /dev filesystem
inside the filesystem we have just cloned)
4.-) chroot /tmp/pp (yeah now the filesystem is yours)
5.-) grub-install /dev/hda
6.-) umount everything and reboot...

everything will work like a charm. I have been trobules with the disks
of my home server and this is what I've done.

Hope it helps everybody

--

Lorenzo Martínez Rodríguez
Consultor de seguridad informática