[CentOS] NTP and hardware clock

John Newbigin jnewbigin at ict.swin.edu.au
Thu Oct 12 02:19:41 UTC 2006

If you want to use NTP, they you should store GMT in the hardware clock,
otherwise you might end up with windows style 'my clock is an hour out'
bugs.  Needless to say, this does not work with a dual-boot
linux/windows box.

The RH approach of setting the time with ntpdate before starting ntpd is
IMHO wrong but it does not cause me enough trouble to worry about fixing it.

As for the original problem, ntpd probably relies on DNS to find the
servers and if it can't find any servers it may fail to start.  This is
normal daemon behavior, normal for apache anyway.

John.