[CentOS] Latest kernel fixes AMD cool 'n quiet

Centos Admin

redhat at mckerrs.net
Sun Oct 15 10:44:17 UTC 2006

Just thought I'd follow up on my  post from around august.... it seems
that the latest kernel has indeed fixed the cool 'n quiet issues with my
Athlon X2 3800. basically the following messages were appearing;

powernow-k8: ignoring illegal change in lo freq table-2 to 0x2
powernow-k8: transition frequency failed

and both cores were going at full 2.0ghz speed.

Now with 2.6.9-42.0.3.ELsmp the errors have disappeared and both cores
are running at 1ghz when the system is idle.

I'm very surprised as I checked the changelog (rpm -q --changelog) and
there was no specific mention of any fix that I could find.

I had actually toyed with the idea of running another distro on the
server as it lives in my garage which, obviously, has no Aircon and the
summers here in Brisbane get pretty hot.