[CentOS] CentOS 2.1 on i586

John Newbigin jnewbigin at ict.swin.edu.au
Sun Oct 15 23:38:42 UTC 2006

Although i386 kernel & glibc are provided, you can not install onto
anything less than i686.  You will have to attach the disk to something
newer to do the install, downgrade the kernel, libc & openssl and then
you should be able to stick the disk back into the 586.

Be aware that there may be some i686 instructions in the i386 packages.
  This is due to packaging and compiler bugs but they are treated as
WONTFIX by RH because their minimum supported arch is i686.  You should
be OK, just don't bet the house on it.

John.