[CentOS] Proper partition/LVM growth after RAID migration

Jay Leafey jay.leafey at mindless.com
Wed Oct 18 14:26:06 UTC 2006

William L. Maltby wrote:

> It used to be possible to get the partition table re-read with
>
>     sfdisk -R /dev/XXX
>
> Still can do?

Hmm, didn't try that.  I did do a "blockdev --rereadpt /dev/XXX", which purports to do the same thing, but that didn't work either.
  Even though I had disabled the VG, something was still looking at it.

> AHEM! Inelegant? In the eye of the beholder! I *prefer* multiple
> partitions because of the flexibility it gives. I keep vg sizes closer
> to the anticipated max and then allocate more temporarily or permanently
> as needed. This is useful for snapshot volumes too as you can "cross
> snapshot" by putting the snapshot on a different physical unit.

Point taken, but in this case the SAN admin extended an existing volume rather than giving me a new one.  I thought adding the "new"
space to the volume as a separate physical volume would have been sub-optimal, like using two PVs on the same physical disk in the
same volume group.  Just my reasoning, but I've been wrong before!
--
Jay Leafey - Memphis, TN
jay.leafey at mindless.com