[CentOS] ISA sound cards in CentOS 4

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Mon Oct 23 00:37:40 UTC 2006

After some experimenting, it seems that CentOS 3.8 runs just as slow as
CentOS 4.4 on my ancient laptop.  So I updated it to 4.4.

Anyhow, now I have a "small" problem with sound again.  The good news is
that ALSA has device driver for my chipset (ES1878).  So I don't need to
use SoundBlaster emulation anymore.  The bad news is that support for
all ISA sound cards is wiped out from the kernel.  Centosplus kernel too.

Is there any RPM package around with ALSA modules for ISA cards for
CentOS4 (or RHEL4) kernels?  Or my only option is to recompile the kernel?

Thanks,
Alex