[CentOS] Re: BUG in fs/bio.c:99

J.J. Garcia stigmatedbrain at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 14:56:31 UTC 2006

El lun, 23-10-2006 a las 17:50 +0400, Kirill Korotaev escribió:
> J.J. Garcia,
>
> the bug you face looks exactly like the ours one.
> I thought it is memory corruption since %eax is 8, while should be 0.
> (BTW, can you run memtest to make sure your memory is really ok?
> http://wiki.openvz.org/Hardware_testing ),
> but the fact that it is always 8 in yours and our case makes me believe
> it is something else...
>
> If I provide some debugging patch for you, will you be able to apply it to your
> kernel, rebuild it and test the issue?
>
> Your help is very much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Kirill

Sure i'll do my best, if you provide me the patch i can check it on the
current host, it's not a very critycall host at the network and i think
the bug is relevant to stop it for a while,

I've started by installing memtest86+ in the related host following the
next steps, for your info:

<...>

 Package                 Arch       Version          Repository
Size
Installing:
 memtest86+              i386       1.26-2           base
53 k

Transaction Summary
Install      1 Package(s)
Update       0 Package(s)
Remove       0 Package(s)
Total download size: 53 k
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
(1/1): memtest86+-1.26-2. 100% |=========================|  53 kB
00:00
Running Transaction Test
Finished Transaction Test
Transaction Test Succeeded
Running Transaction
  Installing: memtest86+                   #########################
[1/1]

Installed: memtest86+.i386 0:1.26-2
Complete!
[root at fattybox ~]# rpm -ql memtest86+
/boot/memtest86+-1.26
/sbin/new-memtest-pkg
/usr/sbin/memtest-setup
/usr/share/doc/memtest86+-1.26
/usr/share/doc/memtest86+-1.26/README

[root at fattybox ~]# rpm -qi memtest86+
Name        : memtest86+                   Relocations: (not
relocatable)
Version     : 1.26                              Vendor: CentOS
Release     : 2                             Build Date: lun 21 feb 2005
20:35:44 CET
Install Date: lun 23 oct 2006 16:25:57 CEST      Build Host:
bhrama.build.karan.org
Group       : System Environment/Base       Source RPM: memtest86
+-1.26-2.src.rpm
Size        : 123633                           License: GPL
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, sáb 26 feb 2005 21:59:06 CET, Key ID
a53d0bab443e1821
Packager    : Karanbir Singh <kbsingh at centos.org>
URL         : http://www.memtest.org
Summary     : Stand-alone memory tester for x86 and x86-64 computers
Description :
Memtest86+ is a thorough stand-alone memory test for x86 and x86-64
architecture computers. BIOS based memory tests are only a quick
check and often miss many of the failures that are detected by
Memtest86+.

Run 'memtest-setup' to add to your GRUB or lilo boot menu.
root at fattybox ~]#

Proceding with the install on boot,

[root at fattybox ~]# memtest-setup
Setup complete.

Lead to /etc/grub.conf in the following way, i'll use it to launch the
tests by the way:

title Memtest86+ (1.26)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /memtest86+-1.26 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
ACPI=off vga=0x307 selinux=0

Since here, memtest is running using default config, feel free 2 tell me
2 change the default params when running if you are looking for
something you need, i'll leave it running for 48 hours looking for
something strange in memory.

I've to note that this host has shared memm for the graphics, iow,
there's no graphic card but embedded one on mobo, it's a DFI CM33T3-100
mobo (CM33-TL) with up2date bios according dfi with a intel celeron
running. I can't assure kingstom memories... but 22.0.2 worked fine with
this hardware previously for long time (months, and year of uptime with
heavy loads)...

We'll keep on touch,

Jose.