[CENTOS] Booting kernel for installation CD

termeau sebastien

termeau at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 14:57:38 UTC 2006

Hello,

I want to install CentOS 4.4 on a Compaq Proliant DL 360.
The installation fails just after booting on the first CD.
Linux tries to autodetect hardware and fails with the CDROM.
Here is the error message:
##########################
hdc: CD-224E, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
Using cfq io scheduler
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
ide-cd: cmd 0x5a timed out
hdc: lost interrupt
ide-cd: cmd 0x5a timed out
hdc: lost interrupt
CDROM 24x ....
ide-cd: cmd 0x25 timed out
##########################
I can install a RHEL4 ES on the same server whitout problem.

I noticed that CentOS and RHEL use 2 different kernels to boot the 1st CD
(in isolinux folder).
So I tried to replace the CentOS kernel with the one I found on RHEL CD.
And it works, the kernel boots, but my CentOS CD is not recognize anymore as
a CentOS CD.

Why CentOS didn't recognize my CDROM?
What should I modify in order to install CentOS using the RHEL kernel?

Thanks

--
Virtue is its own punishment.
  - Aneurin Bevan