[CentOS] IBM x305 slowdown?

R Lists06 lists06 at abbacomm.net
Mon Oct 23 20:43:50 UTC 2006

> I have an odd problem with an IBM EServer XSeries 305 (aka x305).
> Sometimes it seems to just sit there, completely unresponsive to the
> command line (ssh and console), for several seconds.  Other times it
> works normally.  top will sometimes die with a floating point error
> while waiting for it to start.  When top does work, it often shows a
> system load of 0.5, with high interrupt load.
>
> At first I though that the tg3 driver was not playing nicely, so I
> disabled the onboard NICs and installed a 3Com card.  This seemed to
> clear up the problem, but it's now returned two days later.
>
> System is running CentOS 4.4, no X, Apache and MySQL.
>
> CPU is a P4 1.8GHz
> 512MB RAM
> 40GB ATA-100 disk
>
> Any suggestions on where to look next are appreciated.
>
> --Chris

Have you run or considered running memtest86+ from the centos install cd ??

If physical memory problems isn't it, have you done this

chkconfig --list | grep :on | more

And shut off any of the items that are not necessary on your unit?

I can provide a list if you need it of things that are typically not needed
in our situations.

You more than likely know this yet...

ps ax | more

will show many of them as well.