[CentOS] DMA disabled on SATA disk with Core Duo/i955 machine (Inspiron 6400)

first last

prelude_2_murder at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 23 21:53:29 UTC 2006

I am trying to use CentOS 4 on this machine and it does not allow me to
set DMA to 1, it just says that it is not possible. I have tried
updating to the latest release and it still won't work.

I have searched for it on Google and there is a thread mentioning the
same machine and CentOS, but none of the solutions (-p, -X 12) seem to
work at all and there is no "it works!!!!!" message.

Is there anyway I can get DMA working or will I have to wait for CentOS
5? Will any of the "unsupported" kernels work? (I would try Ubuntu's
kernel on CentOS, as I am successfuly using that distribution, but it
is a bit stupid not to use SELinux and it probably wouldn't work
either).

Thanks

Gabriel