[CentOS] The elephant in the room: Oracle

Thu Oct 26 14:22:48 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-25 at 21:46 -0600, Tarun Reddy wrote:
> So what does everyone else think of Oracle's announcement? http://
> developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/10/25/2316221
>
> I kind of think that they are going to be hurting RedHat (a valuable
> partner if you believe their deployment numbers).

Well ... IBM, Novell and Oracle were very unhappy when Red Hat bought
JBOSS.  Red Hat has now deployed the Red Hat Web Application Stack that
includes 2 JBOSS application server products and competes with other
middleware produced by Oracle and IBM.

Oracle just considers this tit-for-tat in that they are going to move
into Red Hat's market if Red Hat insists on moving into theirs.

Red Hat made a business decision to grow their business in a different
direction and, according to Oracle, that caused the Oracle action.  It
is too late now to put either genie back in the bottle.

Regardless where you stand on this issue, it should not have come as a
surprise to anyone.

This might have an impact on RHEL, I don't see it having any impact on
CentOS.  (The cost difference between RHEL ES and the Oracle versions
are not that great, at least on i386 ... and any supported oracle
database is going to be on a paid OS anyway, be it Oracle or RHEL)

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes