[CentOS] Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-350 card on CentOS 4.X?

Bisbal, Prentice PBisbal at LexPharma.com
Fri Oct 27 13:47:02 UTC 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On
Behalf Of Alfred von Campe
Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2006 11:42 PM
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: [CentOS] Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-350 card on CentOS 4.X?

Anyone have the Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-350 card running on CentOS 4.X?
What about MythTV?  One of my users asked me today to upgrade the kernel
on his CentOS 4.4 system today as he claims that this card will only
work on recent kernels (2.6.16 or newer).  I haven't found any
documentation to support this (the Linux page on the Hauppauge web site
is hopelessly out of date; it mentions the 2.2 kernel and Red Hat 6.2!).

We are working on some video products, so this card is actually a
business requirement.  I know that upgrading the kernel on a CentOS
system defeats the main goal of stability of an enterprise OS, so if
that's the only way to get this card to work, I may have to move to
Fedora Core 6.

Alfred

In the end, the main goal of computing is get the job done. In the early
days of Linux, the great thing about Linux was that you COULD customize
it to make do whatever you wanted. Then RHEL came along, and RH spread
Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt about using Linux this way...

If you need to make the card work, go ahead and customize the kernel. If
you're a professional system admin, your job is to make things work. A
few crashes here and there are better then employess who can't get the
job done at all. If stability is the issue, using CentOS is much better
than FC6 (or any other FC). FC is meant to be bleeding edge, and not
stable.

Thats my 3 cents.

Prentice

The contents of this communication, including any attachments, may be confidential, privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  They are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose the contents of this communication.  Please notify the sender immediately and delete the communication in its entirety.