[CentOS] spam control

Rodrigo Barbosa rodrigob at darkover.org
Fri Oct 27 16:15:54 UTC 2006

On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 12:24:22PM +0800, Feizhou wrote:
> >>vpopmail has great user management tools? vpopmail is supported by other
> >>mail related software such as dovecot and spamassassin. vpopmail
> >>supports mysql tables which lends itself to integration with other
> >>software that are mysql capable.
> >>
> >>Why would one NOT want to use (favourite mta) + vpopmail?
> >
> >You do know that exim can talk directly with MySQL, right ? And
> >since you can specify the SQL Queries, the database can have
> >any format, thus integrating with everything else ?
>
> So does postfix. You are missing the point. vpopmail comes with all the
> tools necessary. With postfix or exim, one would have to build their own.

Humm ? I never had to build any tools.

> >I even have exim sharing the same table with radius (and currier-imap)
> >on one of my sites.
> Ah, so you have courier-auth library too.

For courier-imap itself, of course. As far as I know, there is no other
way to make courier-imap work.

> >Having exim talking directly with spamassassin is also very good and
> >easy, and speed things up quite a bit.
>
> Sure. spamassassin milter + postfix milter :P

Are we talking about exim or postfix ?

> >Using things like maildrop, vpopmail, amavis etc with exim is
> >just a good way to slow things down. The direct connection between
> >exim and everything else (spamassassin, antivirus etc) allows you
> >to reject mails during delivery, without the need to accept it
> >before passing to another agent.
>
> ??? postfix -> maildrop -> home dir/Maildir
>
> Nothing in my system goes through vpopmail. vpopmail only creates the
> Maildirs and maintains the mysql tables.

If you are using postfix, then it does make send to use vpopmail.
I'm not saying otherwise.

My point is only regarding Exim.

The thing is, many people don't realize that, when configuring exim
to use mysql, you write the SQL queries on the configuration file, so
you can pretty much do anything you want, even get data from multiple
tables. Also, you can put SQL lookups everywhere, even on the ACLs
(most specially on the ACLs), giving you a very good degree of flexibility.

Also, keeping everything happening inside exim, you make things much faster.
You don't have to keep forking new processes (which is costly for the OS),
and memory allocation is much smarter.

As I said, I don't have anything against vpopmail or maildrop. I'm just
against using those with Exim. If you are using something else (sendmail,
postfix, zmailer, qmail, whatever), you are very welcome to them.

- --
Rodrigo Barbosa