[CentOS] hard drive failing in linux raid

Joseph Cheng

cheng.je at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 15:28:19 UTC 2006

Hello all. I have a server with a linux software raid1 setup between
two drives of the same model....one hard drive as primary ide master
and second hard drive as secondary master. Now primary master hard
drive is displaying a lot of SMART errors so I would like to remove it
and replace with another drive....different brand but same size.
Partitions are /dev/md0 till /dev/md5. I think I know what to do based
on mdadm man page and this list's archives but there is no harm in
confirming right? ;) From this post
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2006-April/063076.html I plan
on removing the old partitions from the array like this..... mdadm
/dev/mdx -r /dev/hdax. Then I will shut down the server, replace the
hard drive, make the server boot from second IDE drive and hopefully
boot into Centos. From there do I have to manually create each
/dev/mdx partition and then re-add them like this....mdadm /dev/mdx -a
/dev/hdax ? That is what I am not sure about whether I have to
partiton the drive exactly like the old one or if Centos mdadm can do
some magic for me with a blank drive. TIA!!