[CentOS] 4.4 versas AS and ES

Barry Brimer lists at brimer.org
Mon Oct 30 04:46:41 UTC 2006

> I am a new user of Centos and have started the process of becoming
> informed as to what centos can do. Sorry to ask a simple question but
> can you tell me where centos 4.4 compares with Red Hat Enterpres AS or
> ES?

There is no technical difference between RHEL AS and RHEL ES.  The
difference is in what Red Hat will or will not support as far as the
number of CPUs and the amount of RAM in a system.  RHEL 4 ES and RHEL 4
AS can both support the hardware listed for RHEL AS.  The difference is
that if you call Red Hat and have support for RHEL ES and you have more
than 2 physical processors or more than 16 GB of RAM they will tell you
that you are running an unsupported configuration.  If you are running
RHEL 4 AS with the same configuration, you are running a supported
configuration.

These issues do not plague CentOS.  You can expect CentOS 4 to run
hardware up to the same configuration of RHEL 4 AS.

Barry