[CentOS] 4.4 versas AS and ES

Mon Oct 30 12:08:30 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-10-29 at 22:46 -0700, Craig White wrote:

> > > There is no technical difference between RHEL AS and RHEL ES.  The
> > > difference is in what Red Hat will or will not support as far as the
> > > number of CPUs and the amount of RAM in a system.  RHEL 4 ES and RHEL 4
> > > AS can both support the hardware listed for RHEL AS.  The difference is
> > > that if you call Red Hat and have support for RHEL ES and you have more
> > > than 2 physical processors or more than 16 GB of RAM they will tell you
> > > that you are running an unsupported configuration.  If you are running
> > > RHEL 4 AS with the same configuration, you are running a supported
> > > configuration.
> > >
> > > These issues do not plague CentOS.  You can expect CentOS 4 to run
> > > hardware up to the same configuration of RHEL 4 AS.
> > >
> > > Barry
> >
> > Barry and Craig,
> >
> > Thanks for your answers.  This helps a lot.  Is there anything that RH 4
> > ES or AS can do that Centos 4.4 is unable to perform.  Then it looks
> > like Centos is just as stable as ES or AS, and the support will probably
> > be better on this list than calling RH.
> >
> > I was considering migrating an application from SCO to RedHat, and now
> > it looks like Centos would even be better.
> ----
> Red Hat is selling a service level agreement. CentOS is user supported.
>
> You have to draw your own conclusions as to the value of a Red Hat SLA.
>
> Craig

Also,

I would point out that RH has the RHN ... which will allow you to
register machines and push configurations or updates to specific
machines via that interface.

CentOS does not have a server register mechanism that pushes updates and
all updates are pull to the client.  CentOS uses either yum or up2date
(run on the client) to pull updates from our mirrors (or from a local
mirror if you configure it that way).

Most users use up2date on RHEL (which is pull as well), so this is not
really a major issue, however centrally controlled push updates is
another benefit of an RHEL subscription.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes
CentOS-4 Lead Developer