[CentOS] CentOS 4.3 on Intel Xeon Core 2 Duo

Michael Kress kress at hal.saar.de
Tue Oct 31 15:36:29 UTC 2006

Hi,

Marc Saric wrote:

> Any of the stability/heat issues which where mentioned in the "Dual
> Opteron or Dual Xeon?" thread from 2006-10-26?

Just for the case you're planning to use a BBU with your 9550 ... Don't
put it into a 2U case, rather use a 3U case. I had much problems with
the BBU temperature during high IO and CPU usage. Temperature went up
just a little bit and syslog told me "Battery temperature HIGH" after a
few minutes. HIGH means 45°C to 50°C, everything above means "TOO HIGH"
which deactivates write cache. Using a 3U case solved this problem and
everything works as expected, even when the system is totally busy with
IO and CPU.
Regards,
Michael

Michael Kress, kress at hal.saar.de