[CentOS] ISA sound cards and stuff

Wed Oct 25 05:22:42 UTC 2006
Aleksandar Milivojevic <alex at milivojevic.org>

I've created kernel-isa and kernel-isasmp packages (currently i586,
there'll be i686 version soon too).  Basically, it is centosplus kernel
with ISA Plug and Play, ISA and PCMCIA sound cards and ISA network cards
enabled.  The change to kernel spec file to add these two packages was
fairly simple, and I hope this might find the way into centosplus
kernel.  If maintainer(s) of centosplus kernel are interested, I can
email the patch for the spec file and four additional kernel config files.

I've tested it on my old laptop that has built-in ISA sound card (ESS
ES1878).  Kudzu and automatic sound card detection didn't work, however
after I manually added entries to /etc/modprobe.conf, it all worked
nicely.  I had to manually specify io, irq, and dma settings in the
options line, and I guess the same may be true for most ISA hardware.

I don't really have anything Plug and Play to test, and no ISA network
cards anymore.  Anyhow, if anybody does have, it would be nice if (s)he
could test if all works OK.  The Plug and Play is in kernel, no userland
tools should be needed (hopefully).

The only sound card missing is Wavefront.  The source code for device
driver needs some updating (there seem to be a patch floating around
somewhere though, haven't tested it yet).  The way it is now, it
produces unresolved symbols if compiled.

I see these packages mostly useful for folks with older laptops (ISA
based sound cards, buying cheap PCI card is no option on laptops).  Also
for folks with older motherboards that have run out of PCI slots, but
still have a few free ISA slots.

The packages are signed with my PGP key (same as the one used for this
email, you can grab it from most PGP key servers).  Key fingerprint is
46FE 7D24 2D50 566A FBF3  7395 4AE4 9AE0 D660 AA3F or something like that.

The URL is http://www.milivojevic.org/linux/rpm/el4/i386/