[CentOS] laptop power management problems

Mon Oct 30 04:54:45 UTC 2006
Aleksandar Milivojevic <alex at 8-p.ca>

I've a "small" problem with returning from suspend mode on my laptop.
Under Windows XP, it works perfectly.  Under CentOS, it simply freezes.
The thing I'm suspecting is the hard drive not spinning.  Has anybody
else experienced same problem, and/or have some advice?

I hoped hdparm might have something usefull, but reading the man page I
haven't found anything promising to try out.

Another thing I attempted is to recompile kernel with support for user
mode suspend (or something like that) that I heard should work very
nicely (not dependent on BIOS or anything, purely implemented in
Linux).  However, the rebuild of centosplus kernel with that option
enabled simply failed with bunch of errors.

It's an older laptop that uses APM (no ACPI).  I'm not sure what
debugging information might be helpfull.  Kind of clueless here.  I'll
be happy to provide any information needed though.