[CentOS] Calling All FS Fanatics

Mon Oct 2 23:57:59 UTC 2006
Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 at duke.edu>

On Mon, 2 Oct 2006 at 4:41pm, Kirk Bocek wrote

> Now that I've been enlightened to the terrible write performance of ext3 on
> my new 3Ware RAID 5 array, I'm stuck choosing an alternative filesystem. I
> benchmarked XFS, JFS, ReiserFS and ext3 and they came back in that order from
> best to worst performer.
>
> I'm leaning towards XFS because of performance and because centosplus makes
> kernel modules available for the stock kernel.
>
> How's the reliability of XFS? It's certainly been around long enough.
>
> Anyone care to sway me one way or another?

To a large extent it depends on what the FS will be doing.  Each have
their strengths.

That being said, I'd lean strongly towards XFS or JFS.  Reiser... worries
me.  AIUI, the current incarnation has been largely abandoned for Reiser4,
which is having all sorts of issues getting into the kernel.

I've used XFS for years and had very good luck with it.  And some folks I
respect very much here are using JFS on critical systems.  Test 'em both
under your presumed workload and go with whatever gives you the warm
fuzzies.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering