[CentOS] Calling All FS Fanatics

Tue Oct 3 12:07:58 UTC 2006
chrism at imntv.com <chrism at imntv.com>

Kirk Bocek wrote:
> 8x750 Gig! I still remember when a friend bought his first 512MB drive and
> I asked him what he was going to do with all that space! Of course that
> was long before any thought of video on a PC...

Yeah, it's quite a bit of elbow room for now.  Going back to memory
lane....I remember starting one of the first public access Internet
sites in NYC about 15 years ago.  One of the original core machines was
a 486/25 with 1 or 2mb of RAM, a couple of 80mb quantum SCSI drives, and
some multiport serial cards with lots of modems and octopus cabling all
over.  People used to call long distance to login with a shell account
and do their thing as I was one of the few outfits that had any real
bandwidth (128k fractional T1...which was more than a lot of college
campuses at the time).  That machine would often have 20-30 simultaneous
dialup users at a whopping 9600 baud and ran Bill Jolitz's 386BSD and
then very quickly migrated to BSDI's BSD/OS.  :)  Eventually, Usenet
began to take over available disk space and I got my first 1gig
barracuda....then a 4 gig....then an 8 gig...Time flies when you're
having fun.  ;)  And I remember paying $1-2k for a single 4gig barracuda
back then and now you can buy a few terabytes for the same investment......

Cheers,