[CentOS] Installing Java 1.4.2

Tue Oct 3 13:50:15 UTC 2006
Dan Stoner <dstoner at flmnh.ufl.edu>

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 1/16/06, Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > How can I be sure of the dependencies?
>> > What yum command would I run afterwards?
>> > How do I get updates to this rpm over time?
>> >
>> > thanks!
>>
>> jpackage offers a yum repository. You'll need to set that up if you
>> want to update from their packages. As for the java rpm. You're on
>> your own for that one. Sun has yet to set up a java repository, and
>> their license is such that we cannot.
>
> Revisiting this after many months... Is it still true that every user
> has to track when
> Sun and jpackage issue matching updates and get them separately the
> hard way...

Are you talking about j2re or other java software?

I believe you can acquire Java j2re updates from one of the third-party
CentOS repositories, such as DAG/rpmforge.

Manually download:  http://dag.wieers.com/packages/j2re/

To add the DAG repo permanently (and thus get any updates provided by
the repo provider):

   http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/FAQ.php#B

On my server machines I usually explicitly include only the packages I
want from the 3rd party repo.  This helps me keep straight which
packages are fully supported by the distro and which ones I had to go
looking for.

To tell yum that you only want to update j2re, just add one line to
/etc/yum.repos.d/dag.repo

   includepkgs=j2re

  Dan Stoner
  Network Administrator