[CentOS] DELL M90 wifi - CentOS 4.4

Tue Oct 3 15:11:38 UTC 2006
Phil Schaffner <Philip.R.Schaffner at NASA.GOV>

On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 08:35 -0400, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Oct 2006 at 10:26am, Paul Malinowski wrote
>
> > Module for Intel 3945 is only for kernels above 2.6.15.
> >
> > I'm afraid that you will have to change the kernel (compile your own
> > one)
> >
> > It's funny for me that Intel 3945ABG is so popular and common Linux
> > dists doesn't support that wireless card.
>
> This has been discussed at length on various lists, but the gist is --
> blame Intel.  They're the ones who control licensing and distribution
> rights for their drivers and hardware specs.

And Intel will say blame the Federal Communications Commission that made
them use the closed-source binary regulatory daemon to keep users from
messing with the software radio features to boost power or do other
spectrum-usage-unfriendly things.

> I'm running FC5 on my 3945 equipped laptop, with added RPMs from ATrpms
> for 3945 support.  It works just fine.

Anyway, ATrpms packages also work for me on FC5/6test.  I expect when
EL5 hits the streets ATrpms will support the 3945 there also - Axel
Thimm just announced support for the Betas yesterday on
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/rhelv5-beta-list but don't see
ipw3845 packages yet at http://atrpms.net/dist/el5/

Phil