[CentOS] Calling All FS Fanatics

Tue Oct 3 22:02:02 UTC 2006
Steve Bergman <sbergman at rueb.com>

On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 14:44 -0700, Kirk Bocek wrote:

> Steve Bergman wrote:
> > In that case, why not use the blazingly fast ext2?
>
> Hmmm, good idea. I hadn't thought to take a step back. Thanks.

Well, that reply was really intended to get you thinking about other
ways that the system could be brought down unexpectedly:

If the UPS battery goes bad, and they do, the next power blip
and...boom!

Hardware failure of any form.

Kernel panic due to some silly problem like the memory needing to be
reseated, due to slightly oxidized connector surfaces.

New admin tripping over the power cord or accidentally unplugging the
wrong plug.

Someone plugging a laser printer or space heater into a power strip
connected to the UPS.

I actually had that (the space heater thing) happen at one of my client
sites once, a long time ago.  It wasn't exactly the sort of place that
one would expect to see raid5, though. Come to think of it, it was a
while back.  I think it was a 3B2.

Writing journalling filesystems required a lot more effort than going
out and buying a UPS.

But they were written for a reason.

But... if you are certain of your precautions... I've never seen ext2
lose a benchmark... ever.

-Steve